Front and side views of what was the M&SWJR Head Office in Swindon. Pictures taken c.1980.
Sign located on Devizes Road bridge in Old Town, Swindon before it was strengthened states:
'Great Western Railway
To drivers and owners of locomotives or other persons in charge of the same.
In pursuance of the Locomotive Act of 1861, notice is hereby given that this bridge is insufficient to carry any weight beyond the ordinary traffic of the district and the driver owner or other person having charge of any locomotive is hereby warned not to attempt to drive over this bridge without having previously obtained the consent of the Great Western Railway Company.'
Swindon Town station area c.1980
Moredon area looking south towards the Power Station on the left
The long gone Wootton Bassett Road bridge near Mannington in Swindon
Cookham Manor at Swindon and Withington, September 1961
The person who took this picture is in the next one
Back to the home page